Photobucket

Monday, August 27, 2012

Health Implications of the 80/10/10 Diet

A lot of people are expressing interest in what is termed the "80/10/10 diet". Whether this is actually a diet or not is irrelevant. What I would feel obliged to express in this article is the potential side effects that are are bound to occur inevitably in individuals who decide to try torturing their pancreas to such extremes. I have witnessed a lot of different diets and health approaches, but not one has held a candle to the rigorous extreme religious fanaticism held in the 80/10/10 community. Let's take a look!

First, off, I've read Douglass Graham's book on the 80/10/10 diet. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, no matter what the circumstances are. As a matter of fact, I actually tried the 80/10/10 diet at one point in my early teens! Not only did I find that it was less than ideal, but I found that it was extremely unnatural to eat primarily fruits and that my body very much disliked it. Now is that to say that fruits are bad? Of course not! We all should eat a certain amount of fruits each day, but to say that we should be obliged to this 80/10/10 principle is just absurd, just as much as it is man made!




When it comes to health, minerals are our allies. On the 80/10/10 diet, your only mineral friend is bound to be potassium! The body will definitely crave salt and other minerals to stay balanced. Can I ask, where will these 80/10/10ers get their calcium, magnesium, boron, manganese, zinc, copper, molybdenum and others? Now before we discuss all the possible outcomes that can be experienced from this diet, I would like to focus more on it's primary leader: Dr. Douglas Graham.



Dr. Douglass Graham is the primary leader & forefront in the 80/10/10 community. My first question to him is, if his Doctorate degree is real. If so, I would love to see a copy of it. My second question would be why he has pushed his beliefs on people to such an extreme. It is one thing to believe in something for yourself, but to make it so dogmatic is just ridiculous.

Now, I will say, that I do have a few things in common with Mr. Graham. We both cherish health. This is obvious. Also, we have both studied nutrition to enhance the abilities of the physical body. I think these are two coordinates that we both have in common.

On the other hand, while Mr. Graham believes in health vs. longevity as he openly states in his work, I prefer longevity over short "bursts" of health. There is a big difference here. You can snort some cocaine and have a "burst" of energy! Is it healthy? No. But it is not much different than the 80/10/10 diet. The closest comparison I would have for this diet is meth; while I've never experimented with meth or blow or any other hard drugs, I do know from people that do them that they get short bursts of energy and feel like they are invincible, is what I've heard.

This may seem funny but it is true. I mean, if you take a look at the 80/10/10 crowd they look like drug addicts. It's sad but true. They've taken an idea so far that it becomes a religion. So what I've proposed is an open look, unbiased, at the leaders and at the community and for people to make their own conclusion.





I will say that I admire Mr. Graham for trying to live on the 80/10/10 diet. I think it is remarkable for someone to go on such a limb. Now I would never sacrifice my health (or teeth) for such an ideology. But if other people want to, they have nothing stopping them. I will observe and take notes (from a distance)!

Long term 80/10/10s can be looking at most obviously, anorexia. But also, cavities, extreme B12 deficiency which can result in nervous system collapse, low sperm count, fragile bones, corroded tooth enamel, skin complications, muscle weakness, loss of body weight, hair loss, mental health issues, trouble in growing, and much more to remain unmentioned.

I think it would be great for Mr. Graham to continue his adventure trying to live on the diet he proposes. If I were him, I would probably start eating a lot of raw butter & cannabis to heal the endocrine system. But his body is his choice. I hope everyone enjoyed this article and got a chance to take a closer look at the 80/10/10 diet! May you be blessed with health and most important, longevity!

No comments:

Post a Comment